Do you suffer with migraines or do you know someone who does? If you are unsure keep reading. If any of the symptoms register with you it is advisable to speak with your GP or Neurologist and they will be able to give you a diagnosis. From time to time I will update this page with more information about migraines and you can check out our blog as well for some information which may be helpful and relevant to you. Are you one of the 13-18% of women or 5-10% of men who suffers regularly with migraines? As a migraine sufferer are you…
- Fed up with being confined to bed in a darkened room for hours or days at a time?
- Irritated by the inability to work because of the excruciating pain of your migraine?
- Frustrated by the unpredictability of when a migraine attack will occur?
- Sick of having to remember to take prophylactic medication everywhere with you?
- Agitated by the time wasted on migraines when you could be out enjoying life instead?
- Exasperated by deteriorating energy levels before, during and after a migraine attack?
Maybe the following are familiar to you too?
- An immediate and urgent need to find a darkened room where you can lie down flat on the ground or on a bed until the migraine pain subsides.
- A sudden need to drop everything you are doing so you can find a quiet place to rest..
- A pulsating feeling in your head which is all encompassing..
- The sudden onset of nausea prior to excruciating head pain..
- Visual hallucinations of flickering patters such as spots in front of your eyes…
- A blinding brightness which reduces you to wanting to close your eyes shut for the longest time….
- Tactile sensations which feel like odd sensitivities in your hands and mouth for example..
- Vertigo or vomiting prior to a migraine attack
Below is the International Headache Society Critera for Migraines If you do suffer from migraine there will be no doubt in your mind that it is very different from a headache. Officially, what distinguishes migraine from other headaches is that:
- The duration is of between 4 and 72 hours
- It is of a pulsating quality
- Physical activity aggravates the pain
- It is of moderate to severe intensity
(Society, I.H. 2011) Migraines and Aura: The program includes a unique, special, specific recording, (Track 5) for those who experience the disorientation which accompanies classic migraines. It is designed to reduce the frequency of the confusing auras which sometimes precede a full blown migraine attack. If you are one of those people who suffers with classic migraine then the following may be familiar.. Before experiencing the pain of a fully fledged migraine do you become…
- Rattled by tiny noises which suddenly transform into the loudest, most painful sounds ever?
- Disoriented by blurred vision?
- Find normal odours which are usually tolerable suddenly become a highly offensive smell?
- Intolerant of even the smallest of requests?
One study by Anderson, Basker and Dalton (1975), compared an hypnotic intervention with medication treatment and conducted a one year follow up post a six session treatment intervention. They found that the number of patients in the hypnosis group (there were 23 in this group) who experienced a complete remission from migraines during the previous three months was 43.5% (10 patients), compared with 12.5% (3 of the patients) from the medication group.